How will you prepare to live and prosper in a world where the future is up to you? WPU offers education for the 21st century. We welcome your interest.

FAQs - Academics

What does it take to be considered a full-time student?
You will need to register for 12 credit hours to be considered a full-time student. Any less is considered part-time status. Part-time students are not eligible for merit awards or full assistance with financial aid. However, the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Admissions will work with part-time students to help them find the best way to finance their education at WPU.

Is William Peace University fully accredited?
WPU is accredited to award baccalaureate degrees by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of WPU.

Is a computer required?
A computer is not required, but is highly recommended. Click here to view a list of recommended hardware and software. Computer labs are located in Finch Library and Flowe Building. All workstations provide network and Internet access. All enrolled students are assigned an email account by Office of IT.

Are there any study abroad opportunities?
Yes, we have a number of study abroad opportunities here at WPU. Every summer we have three to five short programs led by WPU faculty. For this upcoming summer we have programs in Greece, Italy, London, Mexico and Qatar. Our students can also participate in programs led by other colleges and institutions. For example, we are a member of a consortium with Central College. Last summer a student studied Spanish in Granada, Spain while living with a local family affiliated with Central College. Our students can also choose to study abroad for a semester with a wide variety of programs. The application and brief information about study abroad at WPU can be found by clicking here.

When must I declare my major?
We highly recommend that your major is declared by the end of your sophomore year.

How many faculty members hold a doctorate or terminal degree?
Eighty-one percent of WPU full-time faculty has the highest degree in their field. At WPU you will not find a teacher's assistant teaching any of our courses offered.

What is the student-faculty ratio?
The student-to-faculty ratio is currently 15:1 (according to 2014 University data).

How long does it take to graduate?
Taking the average semester load of 15 credit hours per semester allows a student to graduate in four years.

Does the university offer tutoring services?
Yes, the Learning and Writing Center offers its services to WPU students without charge. Professional tutors and students in the Honors Program volunteer their time and assistance to those students who desire help with their course work. Students may sign up for tutoring in any subject.

What is the Honors Program at William Peace University?
The Honors Program has specific GPA and SAT/ACT requirements that must be met in order for acceptance into the program. For more information regarding the program and how to apply, please contact the director of the program at 919.508.2736 or click here for more information.

Students of exceptional academic ability are encouraged to participate in the Honors Program at WPU, where they will have opportunities for learning on a level equal to their ability and intellectual curiosity. This program fosters depth and breadth of scholarship, as well as seriousness about independent learning. 

To apply for the Honors Program please speak with your admissions counselor. Many Honors students will begin work in their first semester, after being selected from the top entering students and invited by the Honors coordinator to enroll in Honors courses. Other students may begin Honors work after their first semester on the basis of outstanding academic achievement while at WPU. For more information regarding the Honors Program at WPU, please click here

Does William Peace University offer a program that enables students to take courses at other area colleges?
WPU is a participating member of the Cooperating Raleigh Colleges (CRC) Consortium. Other participating institutions are North Carolina State University, St. Augustine's University, Meredith College, Shaw University, and Wake Technical Community College. Through the program a student from WPU who needs a pre-professional course not offered on campus may enroll in the course at a member institution without having to transfer to that institution. A student in need of such courses not offered at WPU should contact his or her faculty advisor, division chair, or the Registrar. Registration for courses through the CRC program is handled in the Office of the Registrar. CRC credits count as credits taken at WPU.

What is the William Peace University Honor Code?
"On my honor as a William Peace University student, I will not lie, cheat or steal; nor will I condone the actions of those who do."

The primary goals of the Honor Code are to develop strength of character and to promote a wholesome atmosphere on campus with mutual trust and self-respect. An effective honor system is possible only if students believe in its importance and uphold it. WPU students are bound by the Student Code of Conduct, which is also a part of the Honor Code. The Honor Code establishes the minimum standards of conduct for maintaining the academic integrity of the university. The Student Code of Conduct establishes the minimum standards of conduct in non-academic matters. All new students are given an opportunity to sign the Honor Code during the fall semester, to demonstrate their commitment to upholding it.

Is an internship required for all students at William Peace University?
Yes, all WPU students are required to complete an academic internship. The student will apply the skills, knowledge, and theories developed in the classroom to professional work responsibilities. Internships are required for graduation and are graded based on performance.