The books are now on the shelves! And, the first computers for student workstations were installed today! Click here to see pictures from today!
The renovation and expansion of Peace College’s Lucy Cooper Finch Library is well underway and will be re-dedicated on its 40th anniversary on October 15, 2009.
The $3.8 million project will add 2,200 square feet of space and completely renovate the building’s interior. It’s the first major renovation of the building since it was built in 1969.
Among the project’s features is the creation on the main floor of a "learning commons" with pods of computer workstations. The new library will house an information technology help desk and all of the college’s tutoring programs. The library will also feature a coffee bar. The project is expected to be completed later this year.
The library is named in honor of 1922 Peace graduate Lucy Cooper Finch, who along with her husband, George Finch, donated $100,000 toward the original construction of the library. Lucy Cooper Finch’s family has long ties to Peace. The relationship began with her mother, Emily Faucette Cooper, who graduated with the Class of 1890. Lucy Cooper Finch was an active alumna and served on the college’s Board of Trustees from 1953-1971. Her daughter, Lucy Finch Gaddy, obtained degrees from Peace’s high school and college programs, graduating in 1961.
Gaddy and her husband, Charlie Gaddy, served on several Peace governing boards. Lucy Finch Gaddy served on the college’s Board of Visitors and on its Alumnae Association Board. Charlie Gaddy, who served as a trustee for 18 years and as a member of the college’s Foundation Board for 15, led several capital campaigns for Peace.
In honor of the Gaddys, their sons, Fin Gaddy of Manteo and Will Gaddy of Asheville, recently made a $500,000 leadership pledge in support of the library renovation project.
Keep checking back for more updates! Click here to visit the Alumnae and Friends website!