Peace College will rededicate its Lucy Cooper Finch Library on Thursday, celebrating the completion of a $3.8 million expansion and renovation project. The event comes 40 years after the library was first dedicated on Oct. 17, 1969. The event will include the dedication of the Gaddy Garden, named after the family descended from Lucy Cooper Finch and that has financially supported the library project.
Members of the Finch and Gaddy families, students, alumnae, trustees and faculty and staff will be among those in attendance for the outdoor rededication ceremony. The ceremony will be followed by tours of the building and a reception.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY: The expansion and renovation project completed during the summer was the first major renovation of the library since it was built. The project added 2,200 square feet of space and completely renovated the building’s interior.
Among the project’s features is the creation on the main floor of a "learning commons" with pods of computer workstations. The new library houses an information technology help desk and all of the college’s tutoring programs. It also features the "Peace Perk" coffee bar and lounge.
Though the renovation and expansion is complete, the college is continuing to raise the matching funds to secure a $350,000 challenge grant made by the Kresge Foundation of Troy, Mich. Gifts made to the library project before Dec. 31 will count toward the Kresge challenge. The library fundraising drive is part of Peace’s $30 million "Promise of Peace" Campaign.
ABOUT THE FAMILY: Finch Library is named in honor of 1922 Peace graduate Lucy Cooper Finch, who along with her husband, George Finch, donated $100,000 toward the 1969 construction of the library. Lucy Cooper Finch’s family has long ties to Peace. The relationship began with her mother, Emily Faucette Cooper, who graduated with the Class of 1890. Lucy Cooper Finch was an active alumna and served on the college’s Board of Trustees from 1953-1971. Her daughter, Lucy Finch Gaddy, obtained degrees from Peace’s high school and college programs, graduating in 1961.
Gaddy and her husband, Charlie Gaddy, served on several Peace governing boards. Lucy Finch Gaddy served on the college’s Board of Visitors and on its Alumnae Association Board. Charlie Gaddy, who served as a trustee for 18 years and as a member of the college’s Foundation Board for 15, led several capital campaigns for Peace.
In honor of the Gaddys, their sons, Fin Gaddy of Manteo and Will Gaddy of Asheville, made a leadership commitment in support of the library renovation project in 2008.
PEACE COLLEGE DETAILS: Peace College, a four-year arts and sciences college for women, was chartered in 1857 and opened its doors in 1872. Peace students consistently have rated the school highly in the National Survey of Student Engagement. In NSSE’s most recent survey, seniors’ ratings placed Peace College in the top 10 percent of schools nationwide in all five categories of the survey.
DIRECTIONS: Peace College is located in downtown Raleigh at 15 East Peace Street, directly to the north of the N.C. state government’s Archdale Building. Detailed directions to campus are available on the Peace College web site at http://www.peace.edu/files/shared/pdfs/aboutPeace/campusmap.pdf.