As a WPU student, you’re just a short walk from the state capitol, museums, music halls, restaurants and cafes, theaters and nightlife – and more outside-the-classroom learning opportunities than you can imagine.
Technically, our campus is 21 acres, although it feels bigger. Surrounded by beautiful oak trees in a park-like setting, Peace is an historic landmark in downtown Raleigh. To familiarize yourself with the neighborhood and the surrounding areas, you might want to download the Go Downtown Raleigh app.
Happening in Raleigh
- September 22 – 24, 2017 (Recurring Daily)
Times: Fri., noon-11pm; Sat., 10am-10pm; Sun., 10am-5pm
Venue: Fayetteville Street Area: Downtown Raleigh
The Ray Price Capital City Bikefest and Motorsports Expo is a three day annual event that takes place in downtown Raleigh, the Raleigh Convention Center and the Ray Price Harley-Davidson and Triumph Dealership. Now in it's 13th year, the event is family friendly and draws visitors from all over the country. From incredible musical performances to amazing stunt shows, there will be entertainment for both young and young at heart.
This is a family-friendly event - and all makes and models are represented. Please note: Ray Price Harley-Davidson makes every effort to prohibit lewd or distasteful products, unacceptable attire or language. Beer and tobacco sales are limited to legal age restrictions. ID will be required!
- September 22 – 24, 2017 (Recurring Daily)
Venue: Raleigh Convention Center Area: Downtown Raleigh
Tattoo Fest is a charity event. Booth set ups are free of charge, as well as customer/client entry to the event. The event relies on a good faith donation from each shop/artist attending upon conclusion of the event. 100% of donations excepted go to the USO organization.
- September 23, 2017
Venue: Clouds Brewing Area: Downtown Raleigh
Cheers to three years! Clouds Brewing turns three and will be celebrating all day with Little German Band, dancers, a stein holding contest with a World Beer Fest ticket prize, German food specials, a Gigi's Cupcakes dessert special, bar games in a party tent, a photo booth with free pictures and more!
Every inch of Raleigh is easily accessible from WPU. The R-Line, a free downtown bus service with stops on campus, connects you to restaurants, retail and entertainment venues, museums and hotels. The Amtrak train station is less than two miles from campus (and offers a 15% college student discount), RDU International Airport is 20 minutes by car, and it’s an easy drive from WPU to a whole range of places along the Atlantic seaboard and I-95 corridor.
The other cities in the Research Triangle, Durham and Chapel Hill, are just about a half hour’s drive. For an easy day trip or weekend getaway, the mountains and Atlantic beaches are within a three-hour drive.
You might begin exploring the neighborhood adjacent to campus by heading to Seaboard Station, right on Peace Street. Seaboard features unique specialty shops, a full-service grocery (coming soon!), a fitness center and plenty of options for dining.
- RetailYou can enjoy exceptional shopping in any part of the city, from Triangle Town Center and Crabtree Valley Mall to the exclusive shops and boutiques of Cameron Village. While these shopping areas have excellent food options, your choices are nearly limitless.
- DiningThe burgeoning Raleigh food scene makes finding great dining options a snap. With 1,200 restaurants of all shapes and sizes in the area, you might want to begin by searching the Visit Raleigh online restaurant guide.
- Fun ActivitiesHave some free time? Raleigh boasts world-class museums, professional baseball, NHL hockey and every genre of live music – and that’s just the beginning. When it comes to area events, cultural and leisure activities, we suggest starting with that same source. Visit Raleigh compiles a huge list of things to do in and around town, so there truly is something for everyone.
“Skip Lollapalozza and head to Hopscotch.”
140 bands. 12 venues.
Quickly turning into one of the biggest, eclectic music festivals in the country – with artists such as Big Boi, The Flaming Lips, Gary Clark Jr., Young Thug, and more – Hopscotch is a fuse of music and design over four days across downtown Raleigh.
Downtown Raleigh could soon have a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise, with a state-of-the-art facility just steps away from the William Peace University campus.
North Carolina Football Club (NCFC) has announced detailed plans for a proposed mixed-use community featuring an entertainment, sports and athletics venue.