Do you feel alive when you’re on the stage? Study musical theater or theater at William Peace University.
- WPU is located in the heart of a thriving, artistic metropolitan community, steps away from numerous theaters and production companies.
- The WPU theatre degree program has a comprehensive and competitive curriculum, including the only Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theater in Raleigh.
- You’ll study under an impressive team of award-winning dedicated faculty whose range of professional experiences includes Broadway, national tours, off-Broadway, film, television, professional regional theatre, artistic entrepreneurship, professorships, and book publications. They’ll mentor and guide you to become a passionate and professional artist.
- Generous Merit aid is granted by the University plus additional theatre scholarships for theatre majors (both BFA and BA).
Apply to WPU Theater
Think you have what it takes to be on stage?
Learn From Experience
Our theater programs are led by award-winning teachers who have vast professional and academic experience and continue to work in the professional world. Students train under an impressive network of faculty and guest artists whose credits include Broadway, Off-Broadway, national tours, professional regional theatre, television, film, and radio, as well as strong academic achievements such as numerous publications, research presentations at prestigious international conferences, and teaching awards.
WPU believes that students learn best by doing. That’s why our work is not just theory in the classroom, but also developed through on- and off-stage performances, travel experiences, and professional networking. Our immersive-based theatre programs include:
- Collaborations with regional theater professionals & companies
- Masterclasses & workshops with industry professionals
- Professional theatre internships
- Regular theater trips to New York City
- International travel & study abroad opportunities for theatre students
Performing at WPU
- MainStage productions (Musicals and Plays)
- SecondStage productions (concerts, cabarets, improv shows, student-directed works, showcases, etc.)
Additionally, our team produces masterclasses and workshops led by invited guest artists, presents senior recitals, and engages in yearly professional partnerships with external theatre companies. Students also gain experience learning important off-stage work such as lights, sound, costumes, makeup, box office, marketing, and stage management.
Our facilities include Kenan Auditorium (275-seat proscenium theater), Leggett Theater (90-seat black box theater), dance studio, keyboard lab, private rehearsal rooms with pianos, costumes & props storage, and a set construction warehouse. Additional opportunities outside the classroom include our annual NYC trip for seniors and WPU trips abroad, such as our recent theatre trip to London, where theatre students workshopped with actors in the West End and the Globe Theatre.