Prepare to impact people’s lives as you acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for an exciting health, fitness, and exercise career.
The Sport and Fitness Studies (B.A) major prepares students who want to go directly into a career in coaching, fitness, personal training, health and wellness, sport management, and strength and conditioning.
The Sport and Fitness Studies Major focuses on the necessary skills for working in the sport and fitness industry. It ensures that all students have in-depth knowledge (sports history, sport psychology, personal training, sports coaching, strength & conditioning) and a holistic understanding of the human body (Biology 101, Fitness & Wellness & Nutrition).
More importantly, WPU emphasizes learning by immersion, which means the opportunity to work directly with healthy individuals and special populations. Through internships, students gain hands-on experience evaluating fitness levels and developing individualized exercise programs.
View the Academic Catalog to see courses in Sport and Fitness Studies.
FacultyDepartment Chair of Science and Mathematics; Professor of BiologyAssistant Professor of Exercise and Sport Science; Program Director of Exercise and Sport Science & Sport and Fitness StudiesAssistant Professor of Exercise and Sport Science
The Sport and Fitness Studies degree is designed for students interested in a career in the health, fitness, and exercise fields, but do not want to pursue graduate school. Graduates with a WPU degree in Sport and Fitness Studies work as sports or fitness specialists in various settings, including:
- Adapted Physical Activity
- Aquatics Director
- Athletic Administration in a High School
- Campus Recreation Specialist
- Coach at a High School or College
- Director of Youth Camps/ Sport Programs
- Fitness Instructor at Commercial Fitness Center
- Director of Corporate Fitness Center
- Sports and Recreation Director at a Resort
- Health Club Manager
- Health & Wellness Consultant
- Parks & Recreation Specialist
- Personal Trainer
- Sales Consultant for Pharmaceutical, healthcare, sport or fitness products
- Sport Management or Information Director
- Sports Journalist or Marketer