Examine the relationship between exercise and human performance and the role of physical activity in the promotion of healthy lifestyles.
The ESS curricula provides an opportunity for students to study aspects of human movement and human performance as a reflection of personal values and as an expression of an individual’s physical, psychological, and social nature.
This undergraduate major will prepare you to address society’s growing concerns, from a holistic perspective, about wellness, fitness, injury prevention, rehabilitation, health, and social issues in sport.
Exercise and Sport Science consists of several overlapping sub-disciplines, including biomechanics, biology, exercise physiology, chemistry, epidemiology, nutrition, psychology, sociology, sport history, and sport management. The program of study is designed to provide an effective blend of classroom instruction, immersive learning, community service, and practical experience.
The Exercise and Sport Science major is intended to prepare qualified individuals for careers in clinical, corporate, commercial, and/or community exercise/wellness settings in the health, fitness, exercise, and sport industry, as well as to prepare students for graduate study in related fields.
The courses listed below are for the Academic Catalog and are subject to change. Please reference the Academic Catalog for further information and course descriptions. If you are a current student, please reference the catalog in which you come under.
WPU offers a major in Exercise and Sport Science (B.S.; TUG only).
Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science
Minor in Science in Exercise and Sport Science
- FacultyDepartment Chair of Science and Mathematics; Professor of BiologyAssociate Professor of BiologyAssistant Professor of Exercise & Sport Science/Head Strength & Conditioning CoachAssistant Professor of Exercise and Sport Science
The Exercise and Sport Science degree provides undergraduate preparation for a wide variety of careers in medical technology, athletic training, therapy, health and wellness coaching, teaching, and more.
Positions can be obtained, after graduation, as exercise and sport science specialists in various settings (e.g., corporate wellness, sport medicine clinic, YMCA, community recreation, professional athletics, campus recreation, government, parks & recreation, military, sport coaching, sport management, health settings, and fitness centers).
While some students will pursue further education for graduate school in allied health professional degrees (e.g., sports medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, nursing, cardiac rehabilitation or other medical specialties) or in specialized areas of exercise science and sport settings (e.g., fitness/wellness, exercise rehabilitation, sport administration/management, exercise physiology, exercise/sport psychology, and biomechanics).
Examples of Possible Employment:
- Adapted Physical Activity
- #Aquatics Director
- Athletic Administration in a High School
- *Athletic Trainer
- Campus Recreation Specialist
- *Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
- Coach at a High School or College
- Director of Youth Camps/ Sport Programs
- *Epidemiologist – Physical Activity
- *Exercise Physiologist
- Fitness Instructor at Commercial Fitness Center
- Director of Corporate Fitness Center
- Sports and Recreation Director at a Resort
- Health Club Manager
- Health & Wellness Consultant
- #*Massage Therapist
- **Medical Doctor
- *Occupational Therapist
- Parks & Recreation Specialist
- #Personal Trainer
- #*Physical Education Teacher at School or College
- *Physical Therapist
- *Physician Assistant
- **Professor of Kinesiology, Physical Education
- *Recreational Therapist
- #*Registered Nurse
- *Respiration Therapist
- Sales Consultant for Pharmaceutical, healthcare, sport or fitness products
- *Sport Administration at a College/University
- Sport Management
- *Sport Psychologist for Performance Enhancement
- Sports Information Director
- Sports Journalist
- Sport Marketing
- Sports Officiating
- #Strength and Conditioning Coach
*Graduate degree required
#Professional certification required