Important Update Regarding WPU Mask Policy
William Peace University will make changes to its mask policy starting next week, following changes by the city of Raleigh and Wake County.
The City of Raleigh and Wake County have both repealed their mask mandates for public spaces starting Friday, Feb. 25. However, masks will still be required in numerous areas where groups of people are close together, including health care facilities, airplanes, etc.
At this time, the CDC still recommends masks in geographic areas of high transmission and North Carolina and Wake County are in that category.
“Our goal has always been to protect our students, faculty, and staff while maintaining a positive and productive in-person experience for learning,” said Dr. Brian C. Ralph, University President. “We recognize that transmission is more likely during longer periods of time when more people are gathered – and fortunately – we are aware of only one case of transmission in an instructional setting.”
Effective at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Feb. 28, the WPU policy is as follows:
Masks will remain required in:
- Instructional spaces, including classrooms laboratories and theater spaces, during instruction time. Please put on your mask before entering the classroom for instruction.
- The Wellness Center medical offices and COVID testing areas.
- Athletic training areas in Hermann.
- In the office of a faculty or staff member, if they ask you to wear one.
- Indoor and outdoor spaces for those who are recovering from COVID-19.
Masks will be optional but strongly encouraged (especially for those not vaccinated), in the following areas:
- Academic spaces, such as the library, building hallways, and study areas. Classrooms are mask optional during non-instructional uses.
- Public spaces in the residence halls.
- Dining halls and upstairs Belk.
WPU asks that all behave respectfully for those who choose to wear a mask in optional areas.
Vaccinations remain the most effective tool against infections from COVID-19, and WPU’s team encourages all students, staff, and faculty to become fully vaccinated and up-to-date with boosters.
Unvaccinated students are required to continue regular testing to attend in-person classes.
Questions can be directed to Health & Wellness Services.
The WPU team will continue monitoring the situation and revisit the mask policy if needed.