Phantom Talks Philanthropy: A Student’s Guide to WPU’s Day of Giving
Hi Pacers! This is your favorite mascot Phantom writing from William Peace University (WPU). I’m here to tell you that WPU’s Day of Giving is coming up on February 23!
Our goal this year is to raise $125,000 with 375 donors! Gifts made on WPU’s Day of Giving support your student experience and help you turn your passion into purpose.
Why does philanthropy matter?
In a nutshell, philanthropy provides opportunities for students just like you! Gifts from donors support scholarships, immersive learning experiences, study abroad experiences, educational technology, campus maintenance, and much more.
Here are a few ways that donations support your student experience:
- WPU’s Pacer Pantry: Thanks to financial and physical donations, the Pacer Pantry is able to provide non-perishable foods and personal care items for students at no charge.
- Study Abroad: Studying abroad gives students the chance to grow their confidence while becoming more well-rounded. Angela Caveness Weisskopf courageously gave to ensure students have the ability to travel through the Lovie Jones Fund for Studies Abroad.
- Residence Halls: Financial support is vital to keeping dorms vibrant. The A.E. Finley Foundation continues to support renovations to the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system in Finley Residence Hall.
How much of WPU is donor-supported?
Annually, WPU provides $3.4 million to support campus and students’ needs in classrooms and beyond!
In 2021-22, alumni and donors supported five main areas:
- The Loyalty Fund: The Loyalty Fund focuses on providing educational resources, like equipping classrooms with clear touch panels.
- Student Scholarships: One of the biggest areas that donors support is scholarships! Recently, Alumna Peggy Britt ’56 and the Bill and Peggy Britt Foundation gave $1 million in 2022 to support student scholarships!
- Believe in Peace Strategic Plan: These funds support strategic initiatives in immersive learning, innovative partnerships, creating strategic growth, and enhancing our distinctive identity. This includes projects such as the establishment of the Center for Immersive Learning (CIL) in 2020 thanks to the generosity of Clancy and Theys Construction Company!
- Campus Facility: New and improved areas on campus, the second floor in Belk Dining Hall, the courtyard on Main, and Gaddy Garden are all possible thanks to donations.
- Pacer Athletics: Gifts to Athletics support facility improvements, upgrades for training equipment, and the purchase of new uniforms and sports gear.
How can you participate in WPU’s Day of Giving on February 23?
- Give: Give a gift on Day of Giving!
- Wear: Wear green or your WPU or Peace College gear.
- Share: Share about WPU’s Day of Giving on social media. Ask your networks to join you in giving courageously to WPU! You can also help amplify #WPUDayofGiving by using our Ambassador Tool Kit.