William Peace University is a landmark in downtown Raleigh, but our presence can be felt throughout the city and the region.
Not only are we a proud member of the Downtown Raleigh Alliance, we actually play an active role in the community every day, in many forms, both contributing to and benefiting from the vast resources of knowledge, talent and resources of the Triangle region. The connection between our city and Peace is deep and multi-faceted; here is just a snapshot of what it consists of:
- Educational PartnershipsPeace collaborates with community colleges and other area universities on a number of initiatives designed to lower the barriers to earning a baccalaureate degree, including establishing articulation agreements to facilitate the transfer process and creating leadership development programs. In addition, WPU enjoys a close and vital partnership with the Wake Country Public School System to enhance experiential learning opportunities for our Education majors.
- InternshipsHands-on learning is central to academic life at Peace; in fact, you will have at least one internship with an organization before you graduate. We require internships because we believe it is an essential extension of classroom learning and excellent preparation for a career and life.
- ResearchHands-on educational opportunities go beyond internships. In programs throughout the University, faculty and students partner on real-world research projects all over the Raleigh area, which may take you to a nature area, a law library, a Fortune 500 corporation or anywhere in between.
- Community ServiceEach year we participate in volunteer and outreach activities in our community and throughout the state. WPU students have performed more than 7,000 hours of community service in the last year with community nonprofit organizations, including the Raleigh Rescue Mission, the Salvation Army, the American Cancer Society, the NC Museum Of Natural Sciences, the Inter-faith Food Shuttle, Hope Elementary School, the Appalachia Service Project, the NCAA Pink Zone Breast Cancer Awareness Fund and many more.
- PerformancesThe WPU Singers have performed in the local community and beyond for regional retirement communities, churches and organizations including the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, the Fifty Group, Wake County’s First Responder’s Breakfasts, the Jackie Ammon’s Memorial Basketball Tournament, the Durham Bulls, the Raleigh Christmas Parade, the North Carolina Governor’s Inaugural Ball and others.
- Community EngagementThe community comes to Peace too! Students have hosted members of the community during the holiday season and welcomed all types of guest speakers and guest performers, including those from the North Carolina Symphony. In addition, students host area children in the historic Main Parlor during our annual Fall Carnival in October and at the annual Easter Egg Roll held every spring.
- Corporate SponsorsThe Triangle area is a hotbed for commerce, and we are extremely grateful for the businesses large and small who partner with us both academically and philanthropically. Our corporate partners generously help to alleviate the costs associated with our programs and ensure William Peace University continues providing high-quality education, artistic performances, a speaker series and athletic opportunities to the students we serve and the community at large.
- Graduate School and Career PossibilitiesWith all these opportunities and more in our own backyard, students who are nearing graduation find themselves in an excellent position to explore outstanding local career prospects — many of them through their own expanding professional networks — or, alternatively, to consider some of the best graduate schools in the country.
Location matters because access to opportunities matters….The more opportunities you have, the more powerful your undergraduate experience will be…and we all know that means you will have more fun, learn more, have higher levels of success in your career and in life, and truly make a difference.”