Dr. Witcher is originally from Corpus Christi, TX, but lived in St. Louis throughout the majority of her childhood. She is one of the longest-employed professors at WPU, having worked here since 1999 and receiving tenure. Her go-to Raleigh food spot is Gonza Tacos and Tequila, and she enjoys reading murder mysteries.
“WPU has a very supportive environment where students, faculty and staff are encouraged to work toward their potential.”
- BA Psychology, Texas A&M University
- MA Social Psychology, UNC-Chapel Hill
- Ph.D. Social Psychology, UNC-Chapel Hill
Activities & Honors
- WPU McCormick Teaching Award
- WPU Psi Chi Faculty Advisor Research Grant (2005)
- Omicron Delta Kappa, the National Leadership Honor Society
- Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology
Research & Publications
Dr. Witcher’s research is focused on relationships, specifically romantic and dating relationships. More recently, she has studied the effects of technology in social interactions. She has also examined factors related to students adjustment to college and academic success.
- Righetti, F., Luchies, L.B., van Gils, S., Slotter, E. B., Witcher, B., & Kumashiro, M. (2015). The prosocial vs. proself powerholder: How power influences sacrifice in romantic relationships. Personality and Psychology Bulletin. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0146167215579054
- Witcher, B. S. & Hardin, D. P. (2015, March). The association between college self-efficacy and adjustment among first year students. Presentation at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, Hilton Head, SC.
- Hardin, D. P., & Witcher, B. S. (2013, March). Using social psychological variables to predict college performance and adjustment. Presentation at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, Atlanta, GA.
- Witcher, B. S., & Hardin, D. P. (2012, January). Examining the association between self-efficacy and college student adjustment. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychologists, San Diego, CA.