“WPU truly has a peaceful and joyous culture on campus.”
Dr. Lange, originally from Kentucky, teaches a diverse variety of courses in Exercise and Sports Science. Prior to becoming a professor, she spent several years coaching soccer and tennis, worked for the Special Olympics, led wilderness trips (backpacking & kayaking), and managed challenge “ropes” courses. She was a three sport NCAA athlete in college (soccer, basketball, and lacrosse) and now spends her free time biking, hiking, or playing sports. She is an expert in team development, having consulted with many sport teams and corporate groups. She is an avid UNC fan, when not exploring the wilderness or being in nature. Dr. Lange enjoys a hot cup of tea, random trivia, a good laugh, and living each day to the fullest.
- BA Psychology, Hollins University
- MA Physical Education, University of Northern Colorado
- Ed.D. Kinesiology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Activities & Honors
- Association of Applied Sport Psychology – Diversity Committee (2017-2020)
- Association for Challenge Course Technology – Chair of the Research Advisory Committee (2016-present), Member (2012-2016)
- Association for Experiential Education – Program Accreditation Reviewer (2009-present)
Research & Publications
Dr. Lange’s research areas include cultural competence, intercultural communication, facilitation of experiential education, team cohesion & group dynamics, leadership skills, social justice in the outdoors, gender equity in sport, and mental skills training for athletes. She has been the editorial assistant for two major journals in the field: The Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport and the Quest Journal. She typically presents at several regional and international conferences annually (ACCT, AEE, NAKHE, AASP, CSRI).
- Gill, D.L., Hammond, C.C., Reifsteck, E.J.., Jehu, C.M., Williams, R.A., Adams, M.M., Lange, E.H., Becofsky, K., Rodriguez, E.A., & Shang, Y-T. (2012). Physical Activity and Quality of Life. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 45, 1–7.