Skip to content
- Images should be cropped to the appropriate size and saved for the Web as a 72dpi JPG, PNG, or GIF file.
- To optimize photos for web, in Photoshop choose to Save for Web, and save the image as a JPG Quality High (60).
- Images that are scaled on the page, rather than inserted at the correct size, will increase load time and may stretch out of proportion.
- JPGs are best for photography. PNG is best for images that contain both photography and typography or geometric shapes.
Naming Images and Using Alt Text
- For accessibility and search engine optimization, images must be named appropriately and contain valuable keywords.
- Images cannot include spaces or special characters and should be all lower case. Use a dash to divide words. For example “my-image.jpg.”
- It is imperative for search engine optimization and to meet accessibility guidelines, that every image to contain an appropriate Alternative Tag with meaningful text and rich keywords.