Your career planning starts now.
It’s never too early to start looking ahead. After all, you’ll only be at WPU for so long before you’re managing that business, arguing that case, or working on that thesis.
When the time is right, our career counselors can help you create a strong resume, conduct an effective job search, prepare for job interviews and contact and meet potential employers through internships, co-ops and at onsite career fairs.
Get Help With…
- Professional Development Seminar Courses: Sophomores, juniors and seniors (explore the Academic Catalog here)
- Career counseling and job search coaching
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Mock interviews
- Etiquette Dinner
- Career fairs (log into MyPacerNet and explore the “Career Services” page for links and information)
- Search for jobs
- Career Connections
- Graduate/Professional School information
What is the Professional Development Series?
WPU’s Professional Development Series equips students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow through major exploration, interview preparation, developing your online identity, internships, and more.
- PDS 200 - Career and Leadership DevelopmentA great resource for students who would like to explore various career paths and learn how to choose majors and careers that suit their strengths, interests, skills and values.
- PDS 300 - Workplace ConnectionsA pre-internship class required for all students. In this course you will begin your internship search, learn internship and job search skills, participate in our mock interview program and etiquette dinner.
- PDS 490 - Academic InternshipRequired for all majors. This course is part of your internship program, taken at simultaneously with your internship to provide supervision and reflection on your internship experiences and how to market this experience to future employers.
Gain Experience Through Meaningful Internships
We want you to find the perfect internship, but we also know that can be a tall task. If you’re struggling to find a meaningful, impactful internship experience, our expert staff will help guide you every step of the way.
In a competitive job market, employers are looking for more than just academic credentials, they want hands-on experience, too.
Prepare for Graduate School
Let us help you take the next step…
WPU graduates have been accepted to medical, dental, veterinary schools, law and pharmacy schools and over 100 different graduate schools in psychology, fine arts and humanities.
Some recent graduate school acceptances include:
- Campbell University (School of Law; School of Education)
- UNC-Chapel Hill (School of Dentistry; School of Journalism and Media; School of Social Work)
- East Carolina School of Medicine
- Elon University, Integrated Media
- UNC-Greensboro, Theatre
- Methodist University, Physician Assistant Program
- NC State University (Anthropology; Education, Adult and Community College Education)